Depression stalks LGBT youth in India. LGBT suicides are one of the leading causes of death among teens and young adults in India.
According to the World Bank, the estimated health cost of Homophobia in India is more than a whopping $712 million which is 71,20,00,000 Indian Rupees.
Studies show that LGBT people show higher levels of anxiety, depression and suicidal feelings than heterosexual men and women. Poor levels of mental health among the community is due to experiences of homophobic discrimination and bullying.
Other disorders, problems predominant in the homosexual community:
- Drug abuse
- Alcohol Misuse
- Human trafficking
The alarming factors and numbers inspired FSOG to bring up the topic of depression and mental instability to help you understand what the real world scenario is for the LGBTQ community.
Why does this happen?
- Reluctance to disclose sexuality.
- Danger of violence in public places.
- Hostility or rejection from family and friends.
- Rejection by most religions.
- Harassment from neighbours and the society.
- Casual homophobic comments on an everyday basis.
- No protection against discrimination at work.
- Negative portrayal of gay people in the media.
Effects on your mental health-
- Difficulty accepting their sexual orientation, which leads to conflicts, denial, alcohol abuse and isolation.
- Many try to keep their sexuality a secret through leading a double life.
- Low self-esteem increases the risk of self-harm and suicide attempts.
- Damages relationships due to lack of support from families.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder and depression from long-term effects of bullying.
How to Cope with Depression?
- Talk! – You should talk to someone who you feel secure with; be it with your parents, your friends, a confidante, or us!
- Join self-help groups.
- Stay away from people who lower down your self-esteem, intentionally.
- If you feel suicidal, go to a doctor for help.
- Try to keep up with social activities.
- Excercise as much as you can to keep negative thoughts away.
- Socialise with positive people.
- Practice mind calming techniques like- yoga.
- Eat healthy, mood-boosting diet- Don’t skip meals, Cut down on sugar and carbs.
- GET IN TOUCH: FSOG is here to help. Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org